North Central Academy offers Differentiated Instruction to all students. A Balanced, Experiential and Relevant instructional program ensures that students develop not only a wide base of skill development, but also an appreciation for the learning of fine arts, language arts, science and mathematics. Teachers are trained on the essential components of the program and how to organize/structure their classrooms to be effective from the beginning.
We use an Inquiry model of learning in social studies and science. This means children are asked to explore concepts, experiment with their knowledge and be creative in demonstrating their learning. Projects, research reports, dramatic presentations, speeches, experiments, service learning and more.
A brief summary of each area of the curriculum:
- Language Arts: Includes listening, speaking, reading and writing. Multiple methods are used for teaching reading, including: phonics, sight words, whole language and speed reading, all emphasizing comprehension. Students write compositions, reports, letters, editorials and essays. All students have frequent practice in public speaking and analytical listening. Computer-aided programs are used to supplement reading skills.
- Mathematics: Includes computation, number sense, problem solving, statistics, algebra, geometry and measurement.
- Science: Students study life, and earth and physical sciences with an emphasis on famous historical American scientists. Project-based learning is emphasized.
- Social Studies: Geography, history, civics and economics, with an emphasis on U.S. history and culture, is emphasized in the social studies curriculum. Project-based learning is emphasized.
- Character Education: Includes the skills necessary to be successful and happy, both on the job and in life.
- Technology: Students have the opportunity to use a variety of technology including Chromebooks and iPads.
- Fine Arts: Music, band, choir and a strong visual arts program enhance project-based learning for all grades and offer upper grades a comprehensive way to demonstrate knowledge.